Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday 12 September 2011

    playing with gels.....

    07 September 2011
    Rajshahi, Bangladesh


    this is the last strobist blog post on the Rajshahi tour.... have tried a lot of things on this tour.... though limited by the things I could carry, I had enough to experiment more than once.... the only thing that I needed was time.... on our last day at Rajshahi, we didn't have a lot of flexibility with time.... it was evening before we could finally make some photos.... Lamisa put on her glittering Jaipuri dress, which brought ideas..... Proma's room was well-decorated and had some traditional stuff.... so, I decided to blend those items with Lamisa's dress.... to achieve that, I needed extreme control of light.... I didn't want a washout.... but at the same time, I wanted some drama to go with the dress and posture..... enter the red gel filter.... I placed an SB-900 with a red gel on it outside the window on a Phottix lightstand, which added some drama and filled up a rather dull portion of the white wall... the main light was a 24" Lastolite Ezybox Hotshoe softbox.... my wife held it for me almost parallel to the ground to reduce light spill..... and finally I held a 34" collapsible reflector in front of me to fill up some of the shadows on Lamisa's face....








    the second setup was a bit different and again went with Lamisa's attire.... the bright yellow dress she was wearing, went well with a contrasty blue backdrop.... used a blue gel on an SB-900 to throw light on the back wall.... and changed the direction of the Lastolite softbox.... I didn't want any light from the main light source to ruin the contrast of the background... used a reflector in front to throw back some light, as the softbox was virtually behind the subject.... it was a really difficult shoot as Lamisa became impatient and didn't give us enough time to correct any errors!... used Elinchrom Skyport radio triggers for the shoot, as one of the flashes was outside the room, beyond sight....









    thats the last of the blogs from Rajshahi..... but did a lot more shooting during the holidays.... so, more coming up.....
    blog comments powered by Disqus