Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday 31 October 2010

    strobist double-header!!

    30 October 2010
    Mohammadpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh

    simply didn't wanna bring down the whole setup as long as it had the capacity to serve further.... so, the utilisation of Friday wasn't enough, it seems.... got this inspiration from my family and decided not to bring it down.... this is the first time I've kept studio setting intact for so long....

    Lamisa got her new cooking set from one of her grandmas a few days back.... and already those were in the line of fire..... I decided to get some snaps of Lamisa with those stuff before they changed beyond all recognition.... that triggered the first session......














    decided to utilise the black backdrop, rather than anything else.... so, the typical challenges of background darkening and creating separation remained.... the set-up worked fairly well in terms of making the background dark.... the hair-light wasn't really yielding perfect results, but it was working..... I decided to add a third light in the same setting with one SB-600 as a second hair light..... to restrict the light from falling on the lens, I put a DIY snoot on the flash.... the other hair light, an SB-900, had a DIY grid spot on it.... for this particular experiment, the hair light coming from the gridded SB-900 seemed a bit too restricted.... it wasn't covering enough area that I wanted it to..... but I only had one option, making me somewhat crippled.... both the hair lights were on improvised boom stands, getting some overhead position that my other stands were unable to provide.... the SB-600 was on my new improvised boom stand that I made out of my old damaged tripod.... did some repair to it during the day and it worked fine....

    we went out for some shopping and came back with something that could potentially help the makeshift studio..... a stool..... Lamisa pounced on it and I got at least one shot....


    (p.s. she's holding on to the KitKat packs that Rumi Bhai smuggled in for her!!)


    then some happy accident happened..... Rumi Bhai came in to see the intact setting.... and some way, I brought the grid-spot down from the flash..... so, when I was shooting afterward, the flash was bare..... and the hair-illumination was actually better than it was with the grid-spot on..... quite surprisingly, there was no flare because of this.... I was pretty sure that the flash wasn't supposed to miss the lens, yet there was no flare!!..... for the rest of the shoot, I kept the flash bare and forgot about flare....




    this was the last setting used.... changed the aperture a little in some cases though.... but overall, the settings remained the same....

    blog comments powered by Disqus