Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday 1 October 2011

    the shower flick continues!!

    30 September 2011
    Mohammadpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh

    yea, sure.... why not?.... promised three separate posts, right?.... this is only the second one.... so, bear with it..... last time we placed the bathtub in a way so that we get a front-on view.... that helped us to shoot vertically... this time, we were placing the tub sideways, requiring a horizontal frame.... this didn't cause a lotta problems, but we had to make sure that there was enough light on our subject Lamisa and there was enough DoF for a sharp image all through.....







    I was not overly happy with the light setup of the previous shoot.... the 1/4 power setting on the "forest of lights" wasn't really giving the opportunity to shoot quickly.... I wanted the shoot to go even faster.... some of the moments came for such a transient moment, that you simply had to shoot whether your flashes are fully ready or not... that time, the time lag was really killing me.... so, this time, I really created "The Forest"..... yea, this is what I would call it from now on..... 6 flashes (six flashes?? are you nuts??)...... (4xYN-560 + 2xSB-900) shooting through a 4'x'4' diffusion panel, placed on lightstands and tripods.... this allowed me to dial the power down to 1/8 power, which substantially increased the shooting speed....







    the other light was the same "Lazy Light".... I love this light.... this combo, along with "The Forest", allowed me to bring the aperture down to f11.... a lotta effort for such a small feat!!.... whoosh!!..... thats what happens when you want to take it from 90% complete to 95% complete.....











    so.... was this the perfect setup for the shoot?.... not even close!!.... ha ha.... not even close??.... what do you mean?? not even close??..... after this much effort you say its not even close??.... yea, it is.... believe me!!..... this time, I got a bit more excited and pressed by shutter a bit more frequently.... and guess what, the unbelievable thing happened.... the Elinchrom Ranger system took a pause!!... yes it did.... it was shooting close to 1/3 power.... and I was shooting shooting frantically.... it did shoot continually, but it required a bit of pause after several back-to-back shots.... this is something I've never faced before.... there were several blank frames as a result of that.... and there's something in the corner of my mind that says, "well, I know there were some great moments in those blank ones!!"..... hmm.... perhaps; perhaps not.... you'll never know....



    anyway, I was happy with the shoot..... we again had a great deal of fun.... it was challenging, as is every shoot with a preschooler.... keeping the attention of the child is such a tough ask and also, bringing that expression from the child..... my wife and me work together and make this happen.... keeping Lamisa out of this, as she is the client!! :)

    the third part of this shower flick is coming up in a flash!!
    blog comments powered by Disqus