Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday 12 September 2010

    late-night drama.......

    12 September 2010
    Mohammadpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh

    actually it was the night of the 11th..... that means, Eid Day...... we waited for some quiet time to do this.... and that called for a really late-night shoot, when everyone else would be in bed.... we started some time after 1:30AM.... I started to set things up in the living room some half-an-hour early..... the shots shows here were done well after 2:00AM..... and by the time I was able to pack things up, it was almost 4:00AM...... an effort like this after a hectic Eid Day was really tasking..... we were pretty much determined to do it..... and we more-or-less pulled it off!!

    the idea was to create a spotlight of sorts...... previously I used the Simpex 25"x25" softbox to control the light spill from my diffusion panel..... it worked really well and it simply acted as a softbox for the SB-900..... I had the idea of doing sometime like that again...... but this time, I wanted the light-spill to be even lesser than previous occasion..... and straightaway, I was able to realise that it would be tough to achieve this.... the light spill was simply too much to achieve what I wanted to...... I needed a gridded softbox for sure..... and thoughts came to my mind of making a louvre-type grid for the softbox.....

    I used a lamp for the extra effect and thus, I used a slower shutter to keep the light play its part..... I realised the need for a reflector a bit late though.... and for the second shot I used a reflector on a tripod..... really should've used it for the first one too....... anyway, its important that you make mistakes in order to learn..... tethered shooting was producing some teething software trouble.... perhaps with the help of that, rectifying small problems would've been much easier....

    I used manual power for flash in order to keep everything under my control..... I used the SU-800 as trigger, but refrained from using TTL.... the SU-800 lets me set flash power from my camera, thus saving time and effort....

    used the 24mm f2.8 lens after a while...... also tried out the 20mm and found it to be too wide..... 50mm was too narrow for the purpose..... actually the boom stands were right beside the subject and softbox right above...... so, there was no space for the light-stand legs to keep out of the frame..... I had to resort to a wide angle lens.... D700 @ ISO100 and 1/60s..... f6.3 & f8 for the two shots on 24mm lens.... for the second one, used a tripod and timer....

    the improvised softbox was on camera right, right above the subject containing an SB-900 @1/8 power, triggered using SU-800..... a silver reflector on camera left for the second shot.....



    blog comments powered by Disqus