Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday 18 May 2010

    Freezing action against dark background......

    17 May 2010
    Mohammadpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh

    after capturing some glimpses of Lamisa, there was enough time to do some experiments..... my wife gave me the vital boost..... she reminded of the various experiments that we used to do together; especially during load-shedding hours.....

    the idea was provided by my wife..... she persuaded me to spend some time to capture a nice action-type strobist shot.... and there we go..... the effort was big, really.... with a child to take care doing all these wasn't an easy thing..... still, she was able to give me enough time to come up with at least something.....

    the biggest problem was the background..... it was very difficult to prevent light fall-off on the background..... I didn't have a dark backdrop, so, had to improvise.... I tried with high-sync, but the balls became too few to be of any value at that shutter speed..... a lower shutter speed increased background light fall-off..... ultimately, I was able to find an angle where I could use a background that wouldn't have a light fall-off problem..... this allowed me to use much lower shutter speed, keeping more balls in the frame...... I also experimented with wider lens, to get reflections on the glass-table.... but the reflections caused another problem..... to get the reflections, I needed to widen the snoot, which ultimately again increased light fall-off..... so, I had to be satisfied with this......


    Nikon D700 + Nikkor AF 70-210mm f4-5.6D
    70mm, f7.1, 1/100sec, ISO 200
    Strobist info: One SB-900 on camera left at the same level as the glass table; TTL mode; shooting through a makeshift snoot made of newspaper; triggered by the built-in flash of Nikon D700
    blog comments powered by Disqus