Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday 17 January 2013

    whats more dynamic than a white wall?

    17 January 2013



    just a few days back when we produced our winter theme photo, we received some nice feedback, including a praise for the choice of backdrop (from Mahmood Hussain Mehedi... thanks, buddy!!).... it was a grey backdrop, nothing more.... but this grey backdrop wasn't even grey in reality.... it was, in fact, a white wall and the control of light produced that grey background.... it produces images a lot different from that of a genuine grey backdrop... the biggest difference between the white wall and grey backdrop is the diversity that is achievable from the backdrop... the grey backdrop will not give pure white unless its blasted with a zillion watt-second of light!... the white, on the other hand, is much easier for producing diverse background... just a tweaking of light directions can produce completely different images.... its much more dynamic...



    I've used my white wall to produce lots of images that are difficult to associate with the same backdrop.... using gels or cookies produce even more drama.... but just a mere control of light with softboxes or grids can produce totally different images.... the best part of using controlled light on such a backdrop is the gradient that I get.... that gradient produces something more natural, which can't be achieved only with a backdrop.... so, I would say its the combination of lighting and white wall that produces the diversity, not just a bare white wall....



    my favourite lighting tool to be used with the white wall is the Elinchrom Ranger + Simpex 50cmx120cm softbox combo... it gives so much flexibility that it almost made me crazy, as I was constantly drawn to this combo alone... sometimes its good to have some fill-light options to cut shadows or back-light options to give the images more edge...



    I would be glad to produce a video podcast with a review of the above lighting combo sometime... but as my main video podcast platform Youtube is currently banned in Bangladesh, it can't be done so soon.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though...

    please give your feedback... whats your most favourite background option when it comes to dynamism?
    blog comments powered by Disqus