Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday 27 November 2010

    its been a while since I've done this......

    26 November 2010
    Mohammadpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh

    its a self-portrait..... the last time I can remember taking a self-portrait was probably back in September 2006...... and that too, was a ghostly portrait, experimenting with long exposures....

    anyway, just came back from a party, so, I thought it wouldn't be too bad if I can utilise the wardrobe a bit..... but it was a pain to get a good shot..... I don't know how some others do this so efficiently.... but I struggled.... struggled to focus and frame correctly..... so, it took me quite a few tries to get a decent shot....



    used the Elinchrom Ranger as the main light...... and very interestingly, my Simpex accessories seem to be going with Elinchrom somewhat.... not 100%, but certainly workable.... the Simpex 25"x25" softbox sat on the Ranger A-head almost perfectly.... wooooha!!!...... one light, thats it..... camera was on a tripod with timer.... Elinchrom Skyport used as trigger.....



    as the setup was more-or-less ready, we carried on with some more portraiture..... put an SB-900 (in SU-4 optical trigger mode) with grid-spot for hair light..... had to push the power of this one up to around 1/4, as I was shooting at f10.... still, the SB-900 was struggling to make its presence felt.... the 28-80mm lens is producing some awesome images at lower apertures.... images at f10 are freaking sharp!!.... any lens is supposed to make such sharp images at lower apertures.... so, no point breaking the bank if you are shooting f10.....

    I suddenly decided to do some sort of editing that I usually don't..... used the Old Image effect in Lightroom and kinda liked it.... so, kept it that way..... and as both the subjects were wearing black, it probably wasn't a bad idea to try out some different stuff in editing....

    still have been shooting the Ranger in low power settings..... have to take it out some day to see what it can do.... but one thing is for sure, this is only one light.... and that much power from one direction may cast some stark shadows on the other direction.... other lights in my possession are not even nearly as powerful as the Ranger..... so, there may be some challenges ahead.... lets see....

    much more to come....
    blog comments powered by Disqus